Begin Main Content Area

Premium Assistance

PSERS Premium Assistance Unit
200 North 3rd Street Harrisburg, PA 17101-1518
Premium Assistance: 1.866.483.5509
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday
Privacy Notification (PDF)

In order to receive Premium Assistance, you must have an out-of-pocket premium expense for your own basic health insurance coverage.  Premium Assistance is not payable for separate dental, vision or prescription drug plans.  It is not payable for out-of-pocket premium expenses for the retiree's spouse or dependents, or if your school employer provides coverage to you at no cost.   Any premium payments made with pre-tax or non-taxed funds are not eligible for Premium Assistance.  As a reimbursement, Premium Assistance cannot exceed the retiree’s actual out-of-pocket premium expense and is not treated as taxable income.  You must also meet one of the years of service requirements or retirement type requirements and, have your health insurance coverage through one of the approved plans.   

Service or Retirement Type Requirements:

    • You have at least 24.50 years of credited service regardless of age.

    • You terminate school employment and retire at or after reaching age 62* with at least 15.00 years of credited service. *Note: Age 65 with at least 15 years of credited service if you first became a school employee and an active member or a multiple service member on or after July 1, 2011 (Membership Class T-E and T-F).

    • You are receiving a disability retirement benefit from PSERS.

Approved plans are:

    • PSERS Health Options Program
    • A school employer’s (PSERS reporting unit) group health insurance plan providing hospital, medical and major medical coverage.

If you are receiving Premium Assistance for your participation in your public school employer plan and that coverage terminates, you must enroll in HOP to maintain your Premium Assistance benefit.   

If you do not enroll in HOP when your school employer's coverage ends you must send a written termination request to PSERS.  Please contact the Premium Assistance unit for details at 1.866.483.5509.  If you do not notify PSERS you will be billed for any overpayments made.  PSERS identifies retirees who receive overpayments annually, but it is your responsibility, not your school employer's to notify PSERS when you are no longer enrolled in a plan approved for Premium Assistance.

For more information regarding Premium Assistance, contact the Premium Assistance Unit at 1.866.483.5509 or visit the website and click on Premium Assistance.